Feb 22, 2011

LOC Cake Decorating Blog Hop!


*As per request, here's the link to the template we all used for our cake boxes for you if you'd like to make one too! *

Good evening!

Tonight, I'm joining an amazing group of designers in a super yummy blog hop featuring Layers of Color and this adorable Cake template.  If you've arrived from my dear friend Jennie Harper's blog than you are right on track for the hop.  If not, stop by the Layers of Color blog for all the links as you are not going to want to miss out on even one of the fabulous projects everyone has prepared for tonight's hop!  I am a bit 3D challenged myself, so I went pretty simple with decorating my piece of cake but can't wait to see what all the other designers a.k.a. 'bakers extraordinaires came up with!

While designing my project, I thought that it would be cute to create a 6x6 card base that would serve as a 'plate' for the piece of cake... so, that's what I set out to do.  Here's the presentation - all good cooks know that presentation is a big part of the success of the dish, right? lol!


The card itself is 6x6 in size and uses last year's Stampin Up Valentine glitter paper that I've been hoarding and decided to finally use.  I used a few images from LOC's Flutterescent stamp set and stamping the ink in Versafine black ink & embossing with detail clear embossing powder helped to maintain the fine details of the images.

I did the same thing for the flowers from the LOC's Merci Bouquet stamp set that I used to decorate the piece of cake.  It's hard to tell in my photo, but I layered two of the large butterflies together for even more dimension.  All the images except for the large butterfly were stamped on SU's shimmery white card stock and colored with Copics: R81, R83, R85, R89, G20, G24.  The sentiment on the Fancy Tags die is from LOC's Sent with Love.

Card Details
Stamps: Flutterescent; Merci Bouquet - on cake; Sent with Love; Happy Wishes - on inside (Layers of Color)
Ink: Versafine black
Card stock: Stampin Up shimmery white; SU glitter designer paper
Other: Sewing machine; Copics - R81, R83, R85, R89, G20, G24; Beads; Detail clear embossing powder; doily; SU Sizzix scallop circle; Spellbinder circle die; Fancy tag nestability die; SU tafetta ribbon

Now, let's take a closer look at the piece of cake...


I used SU's Shimmery White card stock for both the cake base as well as the border punched strips and the stamped images.  It has such a nice subtle shine to it and colors beautifully with Copic markers too.  After assembling the cake, I decorated the top edges of the cake with White Liquid Pearls and sprinkled some pastel seed beads over the glue while still wet to make it look like sprinkles.  Then, I added the cut out flower images with dimensional pop dots and glue dots for a bit of dimension.


I added a couple of larger clear beads to the centers of the flowers on the top of the cake - not sure if I should have done that or not... but, it's done now.


The card itself isn't a traditional card but more like a note card - as this is the backside of it.  No folds, just a simple place to write a quick note to the recipient.  I didn't want any added bulk so that the piece of cake would rest on it relatively flat.  I used the Layers of Color Happy Wishes stamp set for the sentiment.


The next stop in the hop tonight is my talented friend Joan Ervin!  And, here's the rest of the designer's blog links for your reference, in case a link is broken along the way...


Jessica Fick *you are here!

Be sure to check in on the Layers of Color blog as Laura is giving a fabulous stamp set tonight in honor of the hop!  Here's the link to the template if you'd like to make a piece of cake too! Happy Hopping!
Jessica

30 comments:

Amy said...

Is there a template for that cute slice of cake?

Amy said...

Is there a template for that cute slice of cake?

kiwimeskreations said...

Ohhh Jessica this is almost good enough to eat - love your combination of card/plate and cake slice. Those wee pastel beads are amazing.
Blessings
Maxine

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Cute, clever confections, Jess!! Fabulous plate/card idea! You are so creative! Your cake is perfection...good enough to eat, pretty enough to keep! :) Lovely!!!

-Sanna- said...

Oh, I love this one.

Renkata said...

OMG so pretty and yummy.
Love the pearl frosting around the cake.

Suzanne C said...

Delicious cake! Yummy beading in your frosting. Beautiful!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful beads and gorgeous piece of cake. Lovely!

Ellis said...

I love your plate/card idea for your beautiful peace of cake! =)
Hugs, Elenor

Justine said...

How creative, I don't think this is simple at all, elegant yes!! So many details that are so perfect, beading, border punches for layers of beautiful frosting, perfect flowers. O MY

Grace said...

Oh how pretty Jessica! I love the pretty little multi colored beads!!!! Beautiful cards too! Have a great day and don't eat too much cake! :)

Carla S. said...

A beautiful and creative design, Jessica! I love the beads around your cake slice!

Jennie said...

Such a fun design Jessica!! Love how it pops right off the card front and FAB dimension. Love the colors you used too :o)

MariLynn said...

Jessica, blessings to you today. I love your cake and cake plate. I never think to use the corner images. How you used them looks fantastic. I love the little pastel beads on the piece of cake. What I noticed first was the body of your butterfly. Wow! What a lot of care and work went into your creation. Thank you for sharing it with us!!!

designsfromwithinbycharlotte said...

Jessica, this is just gorgeous! Love the colors and the doily in the middle of your card which sets your slice of cake off beautifully. Pretty soft flower colors and all those pastel beeds complete it just perfectly!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Charlotte

Mrs. W said...

This is just too yummy! I can't get over all your details. The beads look like sprinkles! Too fun!

Wordbird said...

LOL! You're right...presentation, presentation, presentation! I absolutely love that your card doubles as your cake plate...so neat!
I also think your sweet little cake slice looks beautifully yummy! 3-D challenged? I think not! ;D Beautiful projects, Jess!

Polly said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww cuanto detalle me encanta mucho las cuentas en el pastel se ven geniales.
Kissssss.
manualidadespolly.blogspot.com

Tina said...

TOTALLY GORGEOUS!!!! Your template doesn't show any sizes... how did you size it??? LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!

A Consuming Passion said...

Wow!!!! Fabulous Jesica........How clever to sit your slice of cake on a 'plate'!!!! Love it .....,ost of all I love the way you decorated your cake......all the tiny beads and cut outs......gorgeous!!!!

Sharri said...

Jess - what do you mean you are 3d challenged! Your cake is gorgeous! I love all the beads and the flowers are beautiful!

Dawn B. said...

This is so pretty.. I LOVE the way you added the beads.. They are such a great addition..

Lovely Linda said...

Wow Jess - how delightful is this! I love your plate - very clever and so creative! I find it hard to believe you are 3D challenged - this is gorgeous! Loving those beads - what a wonderful touch! Thanks for being such an inspiration with this sweet treat!! {{{hugs}}}

Joan Ervin said...

What a fabulous idea to make the cake plate, Jess...it's gorgeous and I LOOOVE your beautiful cake slice!!! Your coloring is outstanding on those sweet flowers and the beads are such a perfect detail!!!!

Michelle's Daydreams said...

This is so sweet and delicate. Very pretty. :)

JaniceAileen said...

Wow, Jess, absolutely beautiful projects!!

Linda Beeson said...

That is just so pretty and I love that butterfly!

Luv 2 Create said...

Your cake slice is simply beautiful and I just love the card.
Marcie

Sharon Peele said...

This is great, what a fantastic idea!! Love hove you worked the card and the cake together like you did!! Very creative!!

Cindy Lou said...

Jess, your plated piece of cake is absolutely awesome! I love your beaded confectionary trim! It honestly looks so realistic compared to the little nummy's that my grand daughter loves that I think I could "fool" even her, lol. Great job and thank you for sharing your inspiration! Blessings

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails