Today I have three cards to share that I made for The Twinery's newest challenge: Mother's Day. I made them for my mom and my two sisters using three different PaperTrey Ink Year of Flower stamp sets with the same basic technique on all of them.
My first one uses the beautiful Gladiolus stamp set. The sentiment and frame is from Boutique Borders: Mother. All the solid and patterned papers are also from PaperTrey Ink.
I stamped the images for each card in black Stazon ink on the vellum card stock and after the ink was dry, I turned the vellum over and colored the back of the image with several Copic markers - making sure to look for bright colors so they could be seen on the other side of the vellum. Don't worry about shading, just basic coloring is good enough.
When the coloring is finished, I embossed the entire vellum overlay with a metallic impression plate (also from PaperTrey Ink). I used different ones on each card to see what the differences would be. It was a fun experiment and I was thrilled with the results!
My first two cards both use the delicate buttercream twine since my mom and one of my sister's favorite colors are yellow and I thought it worked well with the flower images I choose for them.
My next card also used the buttercream twine. This time I used the aida cloth impression plate as was surprised at how well it embossed. I also embossed the vellum first and then colored the daffodil image. I also trimmed the label die for a bit of a different look.
I attached the vellum to the card front with mini yellow brads and then embellished the flower stamens with some tiny Want2Scrap pearls.
My last card uses one of my favorite flowers ever - Lilies of the Valley. Oh, how I love them - the smell, the delicate little white flowers... lol! This was actually the first card in these series of card. After I stamped the flowers and sentiment and colored the flowers in an idea popped into my mind to try to emboss it and see what would happen. I was a bit nervous because I thought for sure it would be a flop, but instead it turned out so much better than I thought it would! lol!
I tried to do a bit of shading on the petals and realized that the more I worked the ink, the more blotchy it became. So, don't worry about shading - just lay a basic layer of color down.
Because there was quite a bit of green going on with this card, I choose to use the neutral platinum shimmer twine as the embellishment for this card. Once again, I used the twine to hide the glue I needed to use to attach the vellum to the card front.