Feb 6, 2011

Grow old with me...


Good morning!

I wanted to invite you to play along with my sketch for Paper Craft Planet's Saturday Sketch group.  Here's a photo of the sketch -


To play along, just create a card and share it on your blog or any online gallery and then share the link on the PaperCraft Planet's blog post HERE.  It's always fun seeing what everyone creates with sketches, isn't it!?  I know there are a ton of challenges out there but I hope you get a chance to play along with us this week!

Here's a closer look at the front of the card...


Card Details
Stamps: Clearly Sentimental Birthdays (MFT)
Ink: Memento
Cardstock: October Afternoon dp
Other: MFT rolled roses die; lace; MFT polka dot frame; Petite oval nestability die; pearls; corner rounder

I've had a few questions about how to do the Rolled roses and thought I'd address that here.  First of all, I love working with felt for the flowers - the fabric rolls so much easier for me.  Next, I recently found a great tip that has made them even easier to use.  I put a mini glue dot on the tip of my paper piercer to help keep the centers nice and tight.  I start at the end of the flower and roll just of the flower while still on the piercer and then gently pull the partial flower off the piercer.  Then, I continue to roll the rest of the flower, adjusting as needed for the tightness/looseness of the flower.  The glue dot keeps the center together so it doesn't completely unravel.  To finish it off, I put a regular sized glue dot on the bottom circle and press the flower onto it.  I'll try to get photos of each step soon and share them on my blog for reference.  Tombow liquid glue also works well to keep the layers together but is quite a bit more messy than the glue dots.

If you want to hide the glue dot a bit, you can add a pearl or rhinestone to the center, but I haven't found that the glue even shows.  If you decide to use paper for the flowers, choose lightweight paper and try spritzing it with a bit of water, crumpling, or embossing the paper to help soften the fibers of the paper for rolling. 

I hope those tips help you a bit - I love the look of these flowers and have really enjoyed seeing all the different ones available!  I'm a bit partial to the MFT ones, myself - have you seen the bitty rolled roses?  They are so adorable!

Have a great rest of your day - we're excited for the Super Bowl here in our household and can't wait to see the Packers beat the Steelers tonight!! 
Jessica

3 comments:

hilde janbroers said...

amazing card!!

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Saw your adorable monkey and love the colors and your layout...wonderful job!

Melisa Waldorf said...

I love the green and black and the felt flowers!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails